Fraud Unit

Our Organization - Investigative Services

Fraud Unit



The Fraud Unit is responsible for investigating financial crimes that have occurred within the City of Barrie.

Some of the financial crimes that are commonly investigated relate to:

  • Fraudulent use of Cheques & Credit Cards;
  • Bookkeeper & Employee Frauds;
  • Internet/Phone and Mail generated scams that result in victims wire transferring funds or being otherwise victimized;
  • Insurance Frauds;
  • Power of Attorney Frauds;
  • Counterfeit Currency;

Are You the Victim of a Fraud?

If you suspect you are a victim of a fraud please contact our non- emergency number at (705) 725-7025 ext. 2112.  

If you have an urgent matter, such as a Fraud in Progress, call 911. 

Are You a Victim of Identity Theft?

What is it?  Someone uses your personal information, i.e. address, name, Date of Birth, without your knowledge to gain credit. For example: An unknown person opens a cell phone contract using your information.

Possible signs:

  • A creditor contacts you and advises that an application for credit was received in your name and you did not apply for it.
  • You receive correspondence or telephone calls in relation to a credit card for a card you did not apply for.
  • A collection agency calls you in relation to an outstanding bill you know nothing about.

If you are a Victim of Identity Theft - What Should You Do?

  1.  Contact the two Credit Bureaus, Equifax- 1-800-465-7166 and Transunion- 1-800-663-9980. Request that your credit bureau account be flagged for fraud and order a credit history to review. A small fee maybe charged by the credit bureau for this service depending on the circumstances.
  2. Contact your bank and advise them to put a flag on your account
  3. Contact the fraud department of any creditors for any accounts that were opened in your name and make a report to them.
  4. File a police report.
  5. Contact the Canadian Anti fraud centre (CAFC) 1-888-495-8501

Are you a Victim of a Bank Account or Debit Card Fraud?

If you believe your bank account (business or personal) account has been compromised and you are disputing transactions that have occurred, your first contact is the bank.   If the bank reviews your complaint and takes responsibility for the loss, they will report it to police, there is no need for you to report. However if they hold you responsible for the loss, you must request a letter in writing from them and then report it to police.

Has your Company Cheque Been Stolen & Cashed by Unknown Persons?

Company cheques intercepted in the mail and fraudulently negotiated should be reported by the issuing company to their bank. Unless the location of the theft is known, the issuing company does not have to file a police report. If your company is still being held financially responsible for the loss, due to other circumstances, a police report will be taken from the victim company.

Landlord and Tenant Act Disputes

If you are a landlord or a tenant and have a dispute relating to your rental agreement (verbal or written), your complaint should be reported to the Landlord and Tenant Board or by calling 1-888-332-3234

Labour Disputes

If you have a dispute relating to salary or wages paid to you by an employer, your complaint should be reported to the Ontario Ministry of Labour  or by calling 1-.800-531-5551.

A Business Hasn't Honoured its Contract - What Can I Do?

If you have had dealings with a business that has breached their contract (written or verbal); the matter may not always be fraudulent, but maybe a violation of the Business Act of Ontario. 

In cases such as a breach of contract or if you are dissatisfied with how the business operated, the Ministry of Consumer Services may be better able to assist.  The Ministry of Consumer Services has the authority to investigate the business under Provincial Statues.

The Ministry of Consumer Services website also provides helpful information about what your lawful rights are as a consumer. They can also be contacted at 1-800-889-9768